Running Visual Studio 2010 beta under VMWare Workstation 6.x

There are some graphical problems, probably due to new Visual Studio’s WPF UI, when running shinny new Visual Studio 2010 beta under VMWare Workstation: things like menus disappearing, strange artifacts appearing, etc.

Luckily the solution to this is very simple:

1. make sure the virtual machine is turned off
  2. open virtual machine settings, go to Hardware tab and select Display
  3. Turn off Accelerate 3D graphics (DirectX 9.0c) option and that’s it.

disable

Picture quality might be a bit lower but at least everything will work. Btw I’ve installed Visual Studio 2010 in both Windows XP x86 and Windows 7 x64 virtual machines and it works just fine when graphics acceleration is turned off.

Update 9.12.2009: Workstation 7 supports WPF/Aero with hardware acceleration.

Comments (7) -

• Miha Jakovac

5/20/2009 11:46:23 PM | Reply

Hi.

Thanks for the info. I'll test it in Virtual PC tomorrow.

Miha

• Peter

5/31/2009 11:39:13 PM | Reply

Great! I suspected that accelerated graphics was to source of the problem. Now running VS 2010 Beta on Windows 7.

• format windows xp

9/23/2009 11:47:45 PM | Reply

I have problems installing vmware on windows 7 x32bit, says the software is disabled for my own protection. any tips?

• Francois Vanderseypen

12/9/2009 7:27:09 PM | Reply

What a life-saver! Not sure how you figured this out but I'm so happy I don't have to install VS2010 on my main machine. Things didn't work inside VS until I found out about this checkbox. Thanks!

• Miha Markic

12/9/2009 7:29:18 PM | Reply

Hi guys,

I think that it is worth saying that Workstation supports Windows 7/WPF/Aero without resorting to software workarounds like I posted.

• Download Films

5/31/2010 4:04:49 PM | Reply

Pretty impressive post. I just came across your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.