I have just upgraded BlogEngine.net, an excellent blog engine which hosts this blog, from 1.4.5 to 1.5. The process was more or less smooth as I'll describe in next points:
- Download Blogengine.net Web from download page.
- Read upgrade tutorial.
- Make a backup of current installation and database if you are using it.
- Delete all files and folders except for App_Data.
- Copy new files.
- Copy extensions, widgets and other custom data from backup you made in #3.
- Upgrade database structure with script found in Setup/SQLServer folder (or any other if you are using other database).
- Open web.config and replace the connectionString (I am using SQL Server as a storage).
- Replace all occurences of defaultProvider attribute to "DbBlogProvider" (blogProvider, membership, roleManager).
- Make sure App_Data is writable for Blogengine.net.
I think that's pretty much it for my upgrade process.